At St Columb Minor Academy we pride ourselves on the opportunities we provide to our pupils through our residential visits.
Residential visits, whether near or far, seek to use the outdoor environment as a vehicle for transforming the experience into knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviours.
Each year we are delighted to offer very different residential opportunities for pupils across Key Stage 2 - more details about each offer is below: through these we aim to ensure the following core outcomes:
- Build Confidence and Character
- Develop Health and Well-being
- Enhance Social and Emotional Awareness
- Grow an Awareness of our Environment
- Provide Physical Activities
- Build Personal Qualities
- Develop Skills for Life
- Increase Motivation and Appetite for Learning
- Broaden Horizons
Our residential provision includes:
Year 3 – 1 Night Residential
Our pupils in Year 3 are offered the opportunity to take part in our ‘Watersports and Sleepover’ residential at Porthpean Centre in St Austell. Spending one night under canvas they will experience:
- one full day of watersports and water skills and
- one half day of Problem solving - challenging themselves on either indoor rock climbing, caving or taking the ‘leap of faith’!
This takes place in the Summer Term of Year 3.
Year 5 – Delaware Outdoor Education centre 2 Night Residential
Our Year 5 pupils are offered the opportunity to take part in our ‘Outdoor Pursuits’ residential. Spending two nights in dormitory accommodation pupils will experience a range of activities from the following:
- Open canoeing in ‘Canadian’ canoes
- Outdoor rock climbing and abseiling
- Indoor climbing with indoor abseiling
- Moorland exploration & navigation
- Team building and problem solving
- Mountain biking
- Gorge walking
- Raft building
- Survival skills
Year 6 – Okehampton Youth Hostel. 4 night residential
Our Year 6 pupils go out of county to take part in 4 days of water sports and personal challenges. Spending 4 nights in a Youth hostel, other activities include:
- High ropes
- Raft building
- Pony trekking
- Mountain Biking
We encourage and support all children to go to at least one residential during their time at Blue School. Finance should never be a barrier and we source grant funding to enable all children to have this amazing experience!
In 2022-23 we are introducing a city visit as we feel that our children need to experience the richness of a city and understand the contrast between the city and their home locality.